10 Little Known Facts about Sitka, Alaska
1. Sitka is the first and oldest city in Alaska, some sources say it is 10,000 years old
2. For 63 years Sitka was a major Russian port. (Fur trading)
3. Sitka was the site of the signing of the Alaska purchase on October 18th, 1867.
4. The City and Borough of Sitka, Alaska, encompasses 4,710 square miles, making it the largest city in the United States.
5. Sitka, Alaska is the 4th largest city in Alaska by population after Anchorage, Fairbanks, and Juneau. (Population around 9,000)
6. Sitka was featured in the hit US movie, “The Proposal” with Sandra Bullock, although most of the scenes of the city are actually filmed in Boston
7. Smithsonian Magazine named Sitka number 9 in the 20 Best Small Towns to Visit in 2013
8. Travel Channel Recently Featured Sitka on their popular show “Bizarre Foods”
9. James Michener lived here while writing his epic novel Alaska
10. John O Connell Bridge between Baranof and Japonski Island is the first cable-stayed bridge in the Western Hemisphere.